Thursday 22 October 2009

Foster Care - Somebody Else's Experience...?

While sorting out all my papers etc. I found this letter that was written to me in August 2002. Sadly, I didn't reply to her at the time - I'm not sure exactly why, maybe I wasn't ready to talk openly but I will try and find her now, she deserves to be listened to and maybe talking will help both of us close a door.

30th August 2002

Dear 'R'

I hope you don't mind me writing to you but I used to know your sister. I know that your family used to live opposite me. I used to live with 'S&E'.

I understand you lived there for six months. I lived there for seven years. I don't know about you but living with them was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. I wondered how you got on with them.

I wondered if you wanted to, we could meet up and have a chat - only if you want to. If you don't want to meet, I understand.

I know 'S&E' fostered a lot of children and you are the first person that I know that also stayed with them.

I don't know if I am the only one who didn't have a good time with them.

I don't really want to put too much detail in this letter but to outline it simply, I had problems with both 'S&E'.

If you wanted someone to talk to, I am here. Anyway, if you would like to meet and chat, just let me know okay.

Thank you for your time.

'T'

I feel really mean now for not making contact when I got this letter, to be honest I think I just read it and put it away to deal with later. I know what it feels like to want to talk with someone who understands or someone who's 'been there', so I will make a real effort to get in touch. Six months felt like a lifetime to me, I just can't imagine seven years - too scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment